The New York State Education Department (NYSED) has undergone several transitions and challenges in the past year and a half, which have allowed me to work more closely with the tremendous staff here at the Department. In this time, we have come together with the Board of Regents to face these challenges head-on. This week, I was honored to be appointed as permanent Commissioner of Education and President of the University of the State of New York
. I am excited to be able to continue our important work to benefit New York’s children and adults. Now more than ever, we must address the equity gaps our state faces, and I am eager to partner with the Board and the education community to further these efforts.
We are also working through some transitions on the Board of Regents. As I mentioned last month, Dr. Lester W. Young, Jr. was elected as Chancellor of the Board of Regents
, and I look forward to our partnership. Vice Chancellor T. Andrew Brown will step down from the Board of Regents, on which he has served for nearly nine years in total and as Vice Chancellor for the past five years. Chancellor Young and I are grateful to Vice Chancellor Brown for his dedicated service
to New York’s students and adults, and we wish him well.
Below, you can find details on other announcements and resources from NYSED:
- NYSED Submits Federal Waivers for State Assessment and Accountability Requirements to U.S. Department of Education
- Commemorating Black History Month
- Education Department Now Accepting Applications for 2021 Summer Food Service Program Sites
- Commissioner’s Education Budget Testimony
- Statement From Chancellor Young, the Board of Regents, and Commissioner Rosa on Executive Budget Proposal
- State Finalists Selected for 2020 Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
Betty A. Rosa