in CAS News


For anyone who has already applied for retirement, but has not yet reached their effective retirement date, it is not too late to claim and buy back prior military service.  In order to be eligible, Veterans must have been honorably discharged, have not received credit for this service in any other public retirement system, have at least five (5) years of service credit in the retirement system, and have the application and proof postmarked prior to their effective retirement date. The New York State Teachers Retirement System (NYSTRS) must receive a letter applying for service along with proof of honorable discharge (a copy of form DD214). Your letter and forms must be postmarked prior to your effective retirement date. NYSTRS recommends you send all forms by registered mail or certified mail.

Include in your letter:

  • Your desire to apply for prior military service credit
  • Name
  • Address
  • Social Security #
  • Phone #

Send your application to:
New York State Teachers Retirement System
10 Corporate Woods Drive
Attention: Prior Service Unit
Albany, NY 12211-2395

If you have any questions or would like assistance with your application, you may contact Andrew Buttelman at 631-244-8201; or you also may contact NYSTRS directly at (800) 348-7298.

Share This Article

Other Recent Articles